St. Louis – As Window Covering Safety Month comes to an end, Parents for Window Blind Safety (PFWBS) reminds consumers to check their window coverings for exposed pull/tilt cords (of any length) and loose inner cords. Parents should be aware that even newly purchased window coverings can cause strangulation if they have cords.
In July 2016, a 2 year old girl died when she hung on the cord of a horizontal blind that was manufactured in 2015 and passed the most recent “stringent national safety standard,” drafted by the industry. In addition, the child’s mother had wrapped the pull cord around a cord cleat in an effort to keep it out of reach. However, her child’s neck got caught in the cord while mom believed she was napping.