Press Release: Two Recent Strangulation Deaths from Window Blind Cords Warning for Consumers: Any Accessible Outer Cords on Window Coverings Can Strangle a Child

with No Comments

Accidents striking four weeks apart, Reno Mahe’s family and a Chicago family mourn the loss of their children due to unnecessary window covering pull cords. Why is this still happening?

St. Louis – As families celebrate the holiday season, two families are mourning the losses of their young children who strangled in dangerous window blind cords. Parents for Window Blind Safety (PFWBS) warns consumers that ANY accessible outer cords on window coverings – including pull and tilt cords, and also on loose inner cords – can strangle children who play near the window.

“Consumers must be aware that even newly purchased window coverings – including those with a label indicating compliance with the ANSI industry safety standard – can cause strangulation if they have any accessible outer cords,” stated Linda Kaiser, Founder and President of Parents for Window Blind Safety. “The latest two strangulation deaths both involved products that complied with the industry standard.”

Read the full release.